Tuesday, April 21, 2009

For your Reading Pleasure

I was gifted with three delightful books for my birthday -- someone else's idea of what I should read. Fortunately, our reading tastes are similar.

Mother had an appointment with the eye doctor this morning. It's the first time in several years she has had her eyes checked and must be seeing badly, because she ordered both new glasses and (since she selected a frame within the insurance allowance and gets that pair for $25) new sunglasses. I knew there was going to be a wait, so grabbed a book. It has the intriguing title "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society", and is proving a delightful read in the style of Maeve Binchy, Rosamond Pilcher, and her son Robin Pilcher. The topic is the Nazi occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II -- something I had not realized even happened. I'm learning a bit of British history and enjoying a good story along the way. Problem? I cannot put the book down. Tonight promises to be a late one.

My brother blogged this week about Amazon's electronic reading device, Kindle. Coincidentally, that was about the day after someone else asked me if I would be interested in his Kindle1 so he would have an excuse to upgrade to Kindle2. Or maybe he already has the Kindle2. When I went exploring at Amazon, I discovered a free iPhone/iTouch app allowing one to read Kindle books on an iPhone, and to seamlessly move material between a Kindle and an iPhone. If you own a Kindle product, you can play it on any device that can play a Kindle product. It is now downloaded. Will I read on the iTouch? I don't know. It's an interesting concept.

Give thanks for friends who care. Renew an old friendship. Make a new friend. Don't forget to Pray.

1 comment:

  1. I've been toying with the idea of a Kindle. I'd love to hear what you think about it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments remind me that I am not writing into a vaccuum, or simply for personal therapy. Please comment often!